Selected Works

dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

process work

For a change, I thought I'd put up some process work on the last piece since some people have asked how I work. For me the first step is simultaneously working thumbnails to try to match what's in my head as close as I can, sketches of principal characters or props, and reference gathering. At this stage i'm working pretty small..maybe 500 by 500 or so.

here are some explorations of the staging and lighting. At this point I know what the scene will be, and I pretty much know I want a low vantage point. Now I need to figure out in a sloppy way how it all fits together...here's a sampling of pose work and character exploration sketches



and finally the final lead up to the finished piece. Laying down the perspective grid is a pain, but necessary for something architectural. I'm working at about2000 high by whatever wide, because my final piece is going to be twice that, and there's a huge amount of layers at this stage which would choke my machine to death.

after blocking in all the elements, it's just a matter of polish. Ordiniarily there would be more thorough color studies in here, but with the night lighting i knew what I wanted so I just went with it.

Well, hopefully this is something interesting...

3 comments:

Armando said...

Mr. Moore, these are nice. The process work can be as interesting as the final piece. More informative as well. Man, you captured the lighting for the mood from the get go.

David Ryan Paul said...

You leave no room for comment, other than: pro.

Phattro said...

this is what i am talking about!! thank you jim for sharing this. I always love to see what made and didnt not make it to the final.

Post a Comment