Selected Works

dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune dune

Friday, May 15, 2009

Monstro


Sometimes I wonder if the earliest concepts artists had it easier. If you needed to design a troll or something, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted and it would probably be pretty original. Big ugly guy, maybe a club in his hand, maybe giant feets, and viola! Everyone else is painting flowers and popes and whatnot, I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done before...

The reason this came to my mind is when I set about to do a fantasy character, how difficult it was to avoid making something that had been done a hundred times before. If you think about it, the fantasy genre is pretty hasn't changed all that much in the time it's been around..and if you don't believe me take a look at Rackham sometime..if you ask me that's ready to be modeled rigged and animated.

Anyways, with all that bla bla out of the way, here's my latest character piece. The narrative I was trying to build around this guy is that he's been on his own wandering for some time and has to cobble together his armor from guys he defeats..I layered the armour in such a way that you could see a progression of styles over the thousands of years he's walked the earth..from bronze greek armour to plated horse armour ( on the last variant )




also I just gotta say it's still a bit of a thrill for me when I get metal to look just right...

6 comments:

Armando said...

Pretty neat~ The pectorals and the biceps remind me of Boris Vallejo's works. Now if this guy could only play for the Celtics, he'd have to be green though...

Phattro said...

definitely agree on the originality of design in this ages...not only fantasy but sci-fi is even worst. any design always end up looking like something. I don't think of the 6 years i spend working has even produced a fully original design...ever. But if we try to inject some of "ourselves" in there may be it will give a new life to an old theme, even if the result is not wholly original, ...and with that said... this Blue dude here sir....very cool! awesomely tight rendering here.

David Ryan Paul said...

Let me say that I love the face. The rendering over all is pretty elegant.

How long did it take to do one of those?

Unknown said...

thanks guys

drp- i'd say the original figure was a couple days and then the variations took another day or so...

Anonymous said...

frankly, that is some of the best manddrwan chainmaille i've ever seen... (I make it, so i see the real thing on a daily basis)


Congratz on the fine artwork!

Anonymous said...

handdrawn*

Post a Comment